Friday, May 8, 2009

I guess HTLRROX was taken

The photo fail, it is strong in this one.

There was supposed to be a picture to illustrate my story, but I guess I wasn't paying attention and took one of the ground instead.

But I was thinking to myself earlier that I needed some way to immediately engender hatred toward me, a way to make sure people flipped me off in traffic, maybe even fired shots at my wheels.

But apparently, the best idea is already taken. By the guy with the SPAMMER vanity plate.

From the file of other good ideas, I give you attending a baseball game on "Education Day," the educational value of which is dubious, but the noise value of which is indisputable. When it makes the AP's game story, you know it was insane.

The Royals turned four double plays in front of 32,714 screeching fans—it was School Day at The K—

So yeah, School Day. But actually, it wasn't that bad. Nice day, good game, in and out quick. And a really nice ballpark, especially for a team that hasn't been worth a flip in 25 years. They're pretty good this year though.

Though they have to give away a lot of school day tickets to draw this many people.


Hey Atlanta folks, remember when they put that new videoboard in at Turner Field? I'm pretty sure they claimed it was the biggest in baseball/the country/the world. Well, it isn't anymore.


Sorry to disappoint you.

Other observations from two days on the road:

How long do you think it'll be before the Americinn hotel in red-state Russell, Kansas, renames its meeting room, which is currently known as the Dole-Specter Conference Center? (Yes, remarkably, both those men are from Russell, Kansas, as in billionaire Phil Anschutz.)

I understand that one can't control the last name one is given. I get that. But there are choices one can make, given the cards one is dealt. And so, if your last name is McQuitty, maybe you name your trucking business "Jim's Trucking Service," rather than "McQuitty's Trucking Service."

Do you think "pet live pigs" is a less effective method of advertising a roadside petting zoo than it was, say, three weeks ago?

Day 2

Left: Salina, Kansas

Arrived: Mount Vernon, Illinois

Stops: Kansas City, Mo., (baseball game and Arthur Bryant's Barbeque), somewhere outside Kansas City, somewhere near Danville, Mo., rest stop outside O'Fallon, Ill.

Miles: 510

Diet Cokes: 3 (I know, that doesn't seem right)

4 comments:

Shona said...

Kinda looking forward to trekking the East Coast with you. You do road trips right. When I do the GA-NJ drive, I down some Red Bull, crank the volume on the radio and only stop to fill up with gas and grab a PowerBar. I guess I should maybe stop and smell the roses a little.

Anonymous said...

Man, if I'd known sooner that you were going to be traversing the US on your way out, I would have strong-armed you into hanging in Boston for a day.
...half a day?

Rich said...

You know, if Boston weren't QUITE so far, I'd very strongly consider it. And that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it anyway.

And I dunno what we'll find up the East Coast, but at least it won't involve leaving at 8 and arriving at 11 at night or something absurd like that.

Shona said...

8-11? I still don't think that's all that bad. Only the last three hours truly suck (and boy do they), but at that point, you're only 3 hours away! Might as well keep trucking!