Thursday, May 7, 2009

Leaving what now?



So that was gonna be all dramatic and neat and melancholy ... and then it snuck up on me more quickly than I expected. I thought Kanorado (no, really) was in Colorado; it's in Kansas.

But that's OK. Because that sign? Is a filthy, rotten lie. I left "colorful" Colorado hours before I ever saw that sign.

OK, to be fair, brown is a color.

But yeah, all the tourism brochures and Web sites and such, showing Colorado as the outdoor paradise, skiing capital of the world, blah blah blah? That's the middle of Colorado. Denver, for example. And west of Denver.

East of Denver? Might as well belong to Kansas. So basically I had a good, oh, five or six hours of straight, flat farmland to look at.

To that end, a game! We're gonna play "Colorado or Kansas?" There's no cinch way of knowing, at least not as far as I know. See how you do.



Day 1

Left: Palisade, Colo.

Arrived: Salina, Kan.

Stops: Edwards, Colo., Denver, Arriba, Colo., Goodland, Kan., Hays, Kan.

Miles: 685 (including a few miles of wandering looking for places to eat)

Diet Cokes: 5

6 comments:

Kat said...

I'm going with Kan/Colo/Kan. No logical reason, just Christmas-treeing this one.

Daniel said...

You know, I heard jokes made about giving Kansas everything east of DIA. Honestly, I can think of no valid reason why we shouldn't.

Now that I think of it, you could take a whole slice right down the middle of the country -- the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, eastern Colorado, Oklahoma, west Texas and even eastern New Mexico -- and just rename the whole thing Unbearably Boring.

Shona said...

Only 5 Diet Cokes?

And I'm going with Colorado, Kansas, Kansas.

Rich said...

Yeah, it seemed strange to me too.

Kat got it completely wrong, so there's your answer.

The gas station is in Arriba, Colo., population 244. I did see a school bus. A very old, very sad school bus.

Shona said...

Actually, that gas station could be in south Georgia.

Rich said...

That gas station could be a whole lot of places. I'm not sure it would be anywhere off the interstate in South Georgia though. The interstate towns tend to be slightly more developed than that. But I've been some places off the interstate that would totally make sense.

It did have digital gas pumps though. I saw at least one gas station from the interstate, that was still open as far as I could tell, that had the old-school kind. That was in Kansas if memory serves, which it probably doesn't.