Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pictures!

Not much more to say, but I have pictures to post.

We've spent most of the week working on the front bedroom, where I'll be sleeping. To say it needed it would be an understatement. We didn't take any before pictures, because it was so bad, but the walls were all this color. (There are a couple closets that still need painting; we had to put the stuff we were keeping somewhere.)

The color can best be described as either "pee" yellow or "baby ****" yellow.

Now, however, it looks like this.


We actually picked the bedding first, then matched the paint to it. The "espresso" back wall there is the only wall that's that color. The others are "sweet caramel."

Sweet caramel is hard to see here. The room doesn't get much light, and my camera batteries were dying, so there was no flash. Also, there's a vacuum cleaner in the way. Oh well.

We also found some really cool stuff among the piles of clothes and other stuff that was up there.

A barometer/altimeter. The flash was working at this point. No idea as to its age or origin.


Photo album. Appears to contain a number of photos of my great-grandfather and others of his generation.

And what I think is the coolest of all:

A surgery kit (we think) that we believe belonged to and was likely carried by my great-grandfather during World War I. It might look a bit like a shaving kit here, but if you look closely enough, you can see that those are scalpels. If it turns out to actually be a shaving kit, then it's still pretty darn cool.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

Mmmm....sweet caramel.

An altimeter? I hope somebody had a hobby of flying, cause why else would you need that over there? "Let's see ... 12 meters [oooh.. metres ... sorry], 4 metres, 16 metres..."

And don't go stabbing anybody in a pub fight with one of those scalpels. Remember, you're representing the whole of these United States over there, mister.

Kat said...

Oooo, neat old stuff. Room looks good ... now the challenge is of course keeping it that way.

Sherry Mims said...

Wow, great decorating skills. Maybe a new calling? The things you're finding are neat.

Also, I wondered if you were noticing this:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/06/horrible-london-hipster-hair-t.html

I don't agree with a lot of what this guy writes, but he always has engaging posts...and he's in England now, too.

My Captcha is "slacr." How did it know I was at work? LOL

Shona said...

Sweeeeeet Caramel...doo doo doo

Anyways, the room looks nice! It's actually not a bad looking room, with the built-ins and everything. Did you buy a comforter too, or just the sheets?

And that is DEFINITELY a surgery kit...interesting. Grandma always kept a lot of old stuff...that stuff seemed to mean a lot to her.

Rich said...

Actually, that's the duvet. They have this weird system over here where they don't really use a flat sheet; instead, they just use the duvet. I'm still not totally sure I like it; I may go back and get a flat sheet. The temperature is fine, but it's not tucked in, so my feet come out the end sometimes, and I hate that.

Matt said...

Working at Homebase I know all about weird paint names, I found one today called 'Sticky Fingers'.

Rich said...

One hesitates to ask what color that actually is.